Arlington finds the perfect middle ground between city and suburb and is home to a diverse set of residents. Just across the river from D.C, Arlington offers easy access to the city while maintaining its suburban life. If you are looking to escape the bustling city life but want to be surrounded by historic charm, Arlington is the place for you.
Arlington balances its historic roots with new modern development in the downtown areas. Families, students, commuters, and retirees are drawn to the wide variety of housing options, including high-rise condominiums, renovated townhouses and charming single-family homes. In addition, the easy Metro access, bustling shopping areas, notable restaurants, nightlife, and attractions in D.C. all provide an enticing neighborhood for any potential tenant.
Just a quick 10-20 minute commute across the Key Memorial Bridge, Arlington encompasses several neighborhoods, each with their distinct culture and personality. A younger neighborhood in Arlington, Shirlington, is a popular location for young professionals, equip with a plethora of shopping and restaurant choices. Combining old roots and new industry, Ballston finds the perfect balance between a booming downtown and a serene suburb. Clarendon is characterized by new luxury real estate development, a growing retail district and a vibrant nightlife scene. Areas like Crystal City and Rosslyn are the business districts of the county.
Although Arlington County is already established, the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments projects that there will be an increase of 69,000 new residents to move in by 2045. Arlington is constantly growing and gentrifying and has become a hotspot to live in. The county will see an even larger percentage increase in households by 2045, nearly 40 percent, according to those projections. This means adding more than 38,000 new households to the existing 103,600 counted in 2015. Of course, all of these new people will need somewhere to live. And if recent trends are an indicator, many will choose to rent their homes in Arlington.
Not surprisingly, the majority, 55%, of homes in Arlington are owner-occupied, with the remaining 45% being renter-occupied. With a relatively high median age of 34, 40% of the households are family-occupied. Average annual rent increases will likely top 4% in 2018, according to Delta Associates, a real estate analytics company. The company predicts a stabilized vacancy rate of 3.4% in Northern Virginia in September 2018, a decrease from 4.1% in late 2015.
Arlington County is the perfect mix of retail, government buildings, corporate offices, and residential communities that sustain traditional suburban neighborhoods of Arlington like Columbia Pike and East Falls Church. One of the biggest attractions to Arlington is the school system which is nationally recognized for excellent achievement and a high graduation rate.. There are neighborhood associations that safeguard the area and community programs that involve both residents and visitors. Arlington is constantly gentrifying with new luxury development. The Ballston Common Mall is currently undergoing a massive remodel to include open-air plazas and residential units to surround it. New development projects like this will dramatically increase the value of homes in the area. With the opening of new Metro stations in the area, Arlington has increasingly become one of the most accessible areas in the D.C. Metro area. There are a plethora of bike paths, bus routes and wide sidewalks to make the area more walkable.