What Renters in Washington, DC and Arlington, VA Want
When planning a move or considering a new place to live, many factors can go into the decision. After all, it’s a big one!
When looking for new apartments and/or homes, you must consider the inspection list of the property, the location, the price, the value, the school districts, the nearby job opportunities, and so much more. What else is important in a home? Amenities! Are you an avid cook who needs to have an updated, state-of-the-art kitchen? Are you a clothes horse who can’t live without walk-in closets? There are many amenities to consider, and it’s up to you to decide what you can and can’t live without.
See below for the top-searched amenities in Washington, D.C., and Arlington, Virginia, in 2016.
- Utilities Included: 20.4%
- Washer/Dryer: 17.2%
- Air Conditioning: 9.4%
- Patio or Balcony: 5.5%
- Dishwasher: 4.8%
- Walk-in Closets: 3.7%
- Cable or Satellite: 3.1%
- Fitness Center: 2.8%
- Microwave: 2.4%
- Wireless Internet Access: 2.3%
- Washer/Dryer Hookup: 2.3%
- Pool: 2.1%
- Public+Transportation : 2.0%
- Laundry Facility: 1.9%
- Garages: 1.9%
- Washer/Dryer In Unit: 19.3%
- Utilities Included: 11.4%
- Air Conditioning: 10.4%
- Patio or Balcony: 6.3%
- Dishwasher: 5.0%
- Fitness Center: 4.2%
- Cable or Satellite: 3.5%
- Garages: 3.5%
- Walk-In Closets: 3.4%
- Short-Term Lease: 3.0%
- Microwave: 3.0%
- Public Transportation: 2.6%
- Pool: 2.5%
- Furnished Available: 2.4%
- Wireless Internet Access: 2.2%
Let’s delve into these coveted amenities a bit, shall we? At first glance, there’s very little difference between what people in D.C. want from their amenities and what people in Arlington want from their amenities. They want utilities included, a washer and dryer, air conditioning (hey, it’s hot there in the summer!), a patio and/or balcony, and a dishwasher – all in the top five, but not necessarily in the exact same order. In fact, the only areas where they differ a bit are:
- Washer/Dryer Hookup – D.C. inhabitants place this at #10 in the level of importance (while Arlington did not even put it in their top 12). Makes sense! If you can’t have a washer/dryer in your space, you might as well have the ability to buy your own and hook them up.
- Laundry Facility – Again, with the importance of clean clothes in Washington, D.C! There, it is ranked #14 while it failed to make a list in Arlington.
- Short-Term Lease – People in Arlington seem to be more interested in short-term leases as they ranked this amenity as #10. Hmm – perhaps people in D.C. are more likely to stay put in one place longer? What do you think?
- Furnished Available – This ties in closely to short-term leases. Since people are coming and going from the area a lot (think politics, new terms, new parties, etc.), perhaps Arlington is where they live. It’s cheaper, and they can sign short-term leases in already furnished apartments to make their moves easier!
Now that you know which amenities are of the utmost importance in D.C. and Arlington, what amenities are most important to you? Looking for more info? Check out more here.
Looking for property management services in your area?
Find out about our services and fees from one of our experienced agents. We provide management & brokerage services for community associations, residential properties, and commercial properties.